Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wide Angle Adapters

  1. #1
    Inactive Member longhorn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am thinking of buying a wide angle adapter for my Canon 814 XLS. Anyone have experience with these? I know Canon probably made one when the camera was in production, but I haven't located one yet. (Budget is a consideration for me.) If I can't find the original wide angle attachment, who out there makes them today? Are wide angle adapters made for digital cameras a viable option?

    Thanks,

    Brad

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dsavetsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have one for sale that was made for the sankyo movie cameras .What screw in filter size does the canon 814xls take?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member longhorn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thread size is 62mm.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dsavetsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    YOU WILL NEED A STEP DOWN RING MM?
    AND WOULD PROBABLY GET SOME VIGNETTING
    AT FULL WIDE . IT'S FOR SALE EOR $59.95

  5. #5
    Inactive Member longhorn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I understand correctly, your wide adapter thread is actually larger than 62mm? So the only way I wouldn't get vignetting with any wide adapter would be to buy one exactly 62mm?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dsavetsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    no it's smaller thats why you may get some vignetting
    for more info call me at 2018368291

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by longhorn8:
    I am thinking of buying a wide angle adapter for my Canon 814 XLS. Anyone have experience with these? I know Canon probably made one when the camera was in production, but I haven't located one yet. (Budget is a consideration for me.) If I can't find the original wide angle attachment, who out there makes them today? Are wide angle adapters made for digital cameras a viable option?

    Thanks,

    Brad
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What you want is the Canon C-8 67 wide angle lens. What a piece of glass that is. It is specifically made for the 814/1014 XL-S cameras. It will change your 814 from a 7mm to a 4.3mm wide angle. They can be found from time to time on ebay for $60-$120, price is all about how many others want one at the same time as you [img]wink.gif[/img] Oh and it is 67mm so you need a 62-67 step up ring.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member longhorn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cool thanks for the info. I am more inclined to go after the pieces that were originally made for the camera.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've got the Nizo UWIII, and it's awesome, and I used to have the Canon C-8 wide angle adapter also.
    Both terrific peices of glass.
    However, the $60-$120 price he mentioned is a rarity, if you ask me. I had to pay almost $300 for mine, although I've seen them a bit cheaper, but never under $175-$200.
    **** BEWARE *****
    There are MANY Canon adapters called C-8 wide angle adapters, that are NOT going to work for you.
    You HAVE to get the right one, the 67mm screwing adapter.
    Find a picture of one, and you'll be able to steer clear of the others.
    I can't give you a link at the moment.
    Anyone else know where he can see a picture of one?

    Matt Pacini

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Matt Pacini:

    However, the $60-$120 price he mentioned is a rarity, if you ask me. I had to pay almost $300 for mine, although I've seen them a bit cheaper, but never under $175-$200.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm going by ebay prices which I followed closely for several years. I got my first one for $48 and a second for $70. If you have the patience then you can find some good deals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •